the compression for 6.67-to- 1 for reliability. Valley
Engineering supplied the 2.5-to- 1 reduction unit as
well as the 96- by 65-inch-pitch prop.
The covering was lightweight Dacron using the
Stits process from Aircraft Technical Support Inc.
Since the original Pups were doped on the undersides
of the wings and fuselage, I decided to finish those
areas with an unconventional method by only using
clear Poly-Brush to seal them. I added some tint for
the last coat to achieve the look of old varnish brushed
over doped fabric. The markings were done by hand
with a brush to approximate what was done in the
field back then.
The full-scale Vickers machine gun replica on the
cowl turned out excellent thanks to the help from local
expert Willie Hill, who specializes in getting them to
I completed the plane in October 2010, and the first
flight took place shortly after. Some trim adjustments
and engine tweaking made subsequent flights even
more enjoyable. I can’t say it flies like a Cub because
it’s even better. I guess the old guys really did know
what they were doing.
Left upper wing panel being prepped for cover.
Forward cabane fitting.
Custom-built wheels with wide hubs installed.
A front view of the Sopwith Pup while the cowling was still in progress.
SHARE YOUR CRAFTSMANSHIP WITH EAA SPORT AVIATION READERS WORLDWIDE Send us a photo and description of your project and we’ll use it in “What Our Members
Are Building & Restoring.” Please include your name, address, and EAA number. We reserve the right to edit descriptions.
MAIL: EAA Publications, Aircraft Projects, P.O. Box 3086, Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086